The population of sparrows has been declining, as there is less food for them, because of fewer gardens. They are now on the threatened birds’ list in many parts of the world. They are eaten as food in many parts of the world since First World War and are illegally imported from China, hence resulting in one of the endangered species of the world.
Here are some facts about these human-friendly birds which you all must know…
1. They can swim to escape from predators, although they are not considered to be water birds.
2. Sparrows have life span of about 4-5 years. Sparrows are generally not territorial, but they are quite aggressive when it comes to protecting their nest.
3. They are generally monogamous. Both male and female take care of young ones where female does most of the brooding. This behavior is rarely seen in birds.
4. One of the world’s commonest birds, numbers has crashed in recent years. London lost three-quarters of its sparrows between 1994 and 2000. In other urban areas the population has fallen by 99%.
5. Sparrows play a major role in keeping ecosystem in check by eating insects and keeping their population in-check; otherwise, the insects would have eaten certain plant species to extinction.This is the reason why these endangered species needs to be saved.
iKarmik says, one of the most common birds of the world, human-friendly and plays a major role in maintaining the ecosystem. And, what’s the reason for the downfall in their number? Us! Due to the increase in air pollution, these birds are dying uncontrollably. Even though they have evolved themselves according to the modernization, there’s an immense decrease in their numbers. So, this World Sparrow day; let’s take a pledge in contributing something to save their habitat.